
I have been spending time in Louisiana to catch up with family and friends before I depart for China. The last time I was in Louisiana was last Thanksgiving. I usually average about 3 trips a year since 9 hours of driving is not very conducive to my time, wallet, and energy. I haven't lived in LA for the past 7 years and so when I visit, its always refreshing. I always reacquaint with my love for Louisiana though I never appreciated it when I lived there. To truly appreciate Louisiana, you have to know her history. I say this because I didn't start loving Louisiana until I understood where she came from. Louisiana is one of the most unique places in the US and it has a culture entirely its own.
You first have to realize that Louisiana is old. it was first explored by Europeans in the 16th century. That's 600 years ago. I can't fathom 150 years much less 600 years. I suppose you can argue that most of the New England areas are comparable in age. What makes Louisiana different is this: She has influences from the French, Spanish, English, Native Americans, and Africans and has retained those roots through culture and language. Lets take language--Besides English, There are three dialects of French spoken in Louisiana, most notably, Cajun French; Louisiana Creole French, Cajun English, and even Louisiana-Canarian Spanish spoken by IsleƱos. And then their is food--Cajun food which was influenced by the European French speakers (Acadians) and Creole which was heavily influenced by the Spanish and African peoples as well as French. My favorite dish would have to be gumbo. And if anyone knows how to make a great bowl of gumbo, they know the secret is in the roux. And roux can take hours to make but its well worth it. I call it a labor of love. And you can't be impatient when making roux. I usually try to make it when I know I have no plans for the rest of the day. I play some music to get my spirits high, maybe drink some wine, and I stir the flour into the oil and let it shimmer until its as dark as the Atchafalaya River.
Nothing is more laced with life, love, and pain than Cajun music. If there is anyone who knows about the hardship of life, it would be the Acadians. Exiled from Canada by the British if they refused to pay allegiance to the British crown, they finally settled in Louisiana to live without prejudice. Their music is of melancholy and deliverance, pain and joy. And you hear their life story in their music. It is not surprising that this all sounds like a history lesson. Like I said, to appreciate Louisiana, you have to know where she came from. I feel like I do. I love Louisiana because I feel like I understand her. Despite her firey heat and her tumultuous weather, I still come back. The is something about her; she has mystery. You can see it when you watch the sun set over the cypress as the peat moss waves in the wind. You can see it when you see the reflection of the moon in the bayou with the sounds of frogs and crickets in the background. She dances her own dance, walks her own walk, talks her own talk, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

2 comments:
That was boring!
haha. i know. believe me. i know.
Post a Comment