Friday, November 07, 2008

facing myself.

When it came to writing, I always tried to write in a more sophisticated manner. I would sit and ponder trying to express myself eloquently. Needless to say, I wouldn't be able to find inspiration, and so convinced myself that what I have to say is not worth writing. And at the end of the day, another opportunity to express myself would be lost. I realized that I was never trying to write honestly. No, instead I was trying to be something that I wanted people see me as, such as "sophisticated" and "intellectual."

So I had to come to the end of myself. I had to face myself. I am no great writer. I have not been endowed with the gift of prose. Rather, I am an ordinary man with a passion to express myself. I write because I feel it. So first things first: stop writing like its a term paper. Self-expression has no structure or limitations. Write with heart, write with passion, write with conviction. I don't know if being "sophisticated" or an "intellectual" are things we are supposed to consciously achieve. Perhaps they are mere aesthetics that are only appropriate for persuasion. If that is the case, sophistication and intellectuality are not important to me. They are not essential for being kind, or compassionate, or being honest with yourself. Because kindness, compassion, and honesty are virtues and hold more substance than any form of aesthetics.

Currently reading: True to Life: Why Truth Matters by Michael P. Lynch

Currently listening: Jack Johnson


No comments: